Characters displaying as x2F

From: Ken Conrad <SPAMFILTER(dot)kdconrad(at)fuse(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Characters displaying as x2F
Date: 2001-09-16 06:01:50
Lists: pgsql-general

I am using Redhat 7.1 with postgresql-7.0.3-8.rpm and am having a
problem when storing non-alphanumeric characters such as "/". When I use
psql to select the data it returns x2F in place of the /.

I have created the database using MULE_INTERNAL encoding. I am selecting
the data using a command line like this: psql -d apache -H -q -c "select
* from guestbook;"

What do I need to do to display the special characters correctly?