Re: Need feedback: GeneXus will support PostgreSQL

From: Haroldo Stenger <hstenger(at)adinet(dot)com(dot)uy>
To: Horst Herb <hherb(at)malleenet(dot)net(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need feedback: GeneXus will support PostgreSQL
Date: 2001-09-13 19:58:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(On-topic since GeneXus' people decision of supporting PG.)

Horst Herb wrote:

> On Thursday 13 September 2001 15:34, Ryan Mahoney wrote:
> > What is it? 8) is it middleware? Is it pre-built applications? I'm
> > confused!
>
> It is sort of an application framework and builder.
> IMHO not very useful, as it does not support any real world programming
> language apart from Java (supports C#, Java, RPG, COBOL, C/SQL, Visual
> Basic, Visual Foxpro, Visual Studio.Net) and only a couple of non-Microsoft
> platforms. Their claims of language & platform independence are simply not
> true.

Hmm.. Used to be truer than now. But people like me who deeply understand what
can be accomplished with GeneXus, and fully believe in Open Source, are changing
the point of focus of future versions of GeneXus. Most of the current focus is
MS related. But recent decision to support PostgreSQL, as the fifth database
shows renewal. Also, I would add that C/SQL is as a good thing as Java depending
on what must be built.

Regards,
Haroldo.