Re: Need feedback: GeneXus will support PostgreSQL

From: Haroldo Stenger <hstenger(at)adinet(dot)com(dot)uy>
To: Ryan Mahoney <ryan(at)paymentalliance(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need feedback: GeneXus will support PostgreSQL
Date: 2001-09-13 19:47:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ryan Mahoney wrote:

> What is it? 8) is it middleware? Is it pre-built applications? I'm confused!

Genexus is a VRAD tool, database oriented. You code in a mix of graphical forms,
and plain code. The code combines logic paradigm, event oriented programming,
and imperative code. There is a very powerful command (for each/enfor) which is
a loop over records in the DB, with a given order, a given start and a given
stop points, and added restrictions. Nested for eachs are allowed, making it
easy to do grouping of records and totals. There are four main programming
templates "Transactions", "Work Panels", "Procedures" and "Reports". Once the
app is modelled using these elements, a working prototype can be generated from
it, in a language out of VB, VFox, Java, C, COBOL, RPG, XBase, C#. Regarding the
databases with which the app will interact, one can choose between Oracle, MS
SQL Server, Informix, and IBM DB2. And now, PostgreSQL. Along the programming
process, the database is automatically created, and normalized (3rd normal
form).

Then the full working app is generated in the target language.

I'm the main fan of GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, and PostgreSQL, within the GeneXus
community. I'm the one responsible of persuading GeneXus' people of the urge of
this recent decision. Another cool initiative is www.gxopen.com.uy, which is a
website devoted to open source GeneXus-made projects.

Thanks.

Regards,
Haroldo.