Re: factorial doc bug?

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: factorial doc bug?
Date: 2001-09-12 01:35:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Are you saying we should remove the whole chapter below from the docs?

Hmm. I wrote that :/

I vaguely recall some discussion of this topic (a few months ago?). I'm
not certain that the current behavior was an intended result of changes
in the "automatic coersion" algorithms, but I think it was. Tom Lane is
probably the person who made those changes, and we should have him in
the discussion on whether the current behavior is appropriate.

Keep in mind that he is a mathematician, and I'll guess that he won't
have much patience with folks who expect a result for a factorial of a
fractional number ;) But there may have been another case which made it
clearer that the old behavior was a bad road to take. We can look at the
archives, right?

- Thomas