Re: PL/java?

From: Gilles DAROLD <gilles(at)darold(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/java?
Date: 2001-09-04 10:21:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Alex,

Saying that mod_perl is slower than any java apps is purely marketing
for java. An other guy told me that one day, I just bench it to show him
how java developper just talk marketing. So the result was that with small
users the performance was the same and with many user mod_perl is
really speediest. Secondly mod_perl doesn't crash the system, under Linux
using Java is a waste of time and a leak of memory ! Marketing is probably
why daniel talk about Win$

When first Java was out it was called the "Perl killer", so after many years
Perl is most uses than Java, ask you why ???

For your other words what you do in Java can be done in perl more quickly
more efficiently and with writing many less lines !

An other example is the Oracle XML/SQL Servlet that it was plan to use
in my company. After hearing too many marketing words I write the same
in perl in 3 days and extend the possibility with no limits. Now they're using
Perl, ask you why ? This is use in the entreprise commercial application that
I think you call entreprise level !

At this time Perl is the only really portable language over any OS.

In my opinion PL/Java is purely a waste of time but some have time so why not !

Sorry but I can not let you say words like that, we are not newbe :-(

In your way I can tell you that before using Perl I also preach for Java :-)
But
after rewritten many time the same apps with the differents versions of Java
and the OS where it should work it ended to decide me: no more Java !

Regards

Gilles Darold