Re: PL/java?

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
To: Alex Knight <knight(at)phunc(dot)com>
Cc: Marshall Spight <marshall(at)meetstheeye(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PL/java?
Date: 2001-09-01 01:21:49
Lists: pgsql-general

> Java stored procedures are the #1 most-desired-by-me feature for PostgreSQL.
> Oracle and Sybase are examples of databases that have this feature already.

How does java manage its resources when it is an embedded component?
When it is standalone, the Sun JDK seems to want to have a fixed maximum
amount of memory, as an example. I'd hate to have a nice 10MB PostgreSQL
backend calling a 256MB jvm to execute a simple small program.

The other embedded languages we have start small and can grow
dynamically. But I don't know what is possible in this regard for
Java...

- Thomas