Re: Link to bug webpage

From: Andrew McMillan <andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Link to bug webpage
Date: 2001-08-21 19:52:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> What who thinks of what has actually become irrelevant. The following
> is clear:
>
> o No tool will replace the mailing lists
> o The mailing lists are where discussion will be held
> o Many/most maintainers have no desire to update bug reports

If anyone is interested, I am willing to undertake to be the link between
the bugs mailing list and a bugs database. This should allow developers to
continue to deal with the mailing list, just CCing a special e-mail address
whenever a bug was fixed. I would then take care of finding the
appropriate bug(s) in the database and marking them as fixed.

There are two large, well-used bugs databases that I am aware of with
somewhat different strengths:
- The Debian Bug Tracking System
- Bugzilla
there are a gazillion others, of course, but let's just consider those two
for the moment.

In some ways the Debian bug tracking system is a closer fit to the way
PostgreSQL currently works, since it drives into a mailing list, bug
submission is via e-mail and bug control is via e-mail as well.

Bugzilla is probably a closer fit in reality, since it is more focused
around bugs for a single application. If Bugzilla were installed I'm sure
some functionality could be added into it along the lines of the Debian BTS
too.

Regards,
Andrew.
Andrew McMillan, e-mail: Andrew @ catalyst . net . nz
Catalyst IT Ltd, PO Box 10-225, Level 22, 105 The Terrace, Wellington
Me: +64(21)635-694, Fax:+64(4)499-5596, Office: +64(4)499-2267xtn709