Returning result sets.

From: Michael Weaver <mweaver(at)corpusglobe(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Returning result sets.
Date: 2003-02-14 01:44:09
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

How do I declare a stored function to return a result set. (ie set of
records)

I can define a function returning " setof record "
but I get an error:

A column definition list is required for functions returning RECORD

The docs(7.3) seem to think that this should be ok.
so what is wrong?

I have managed to get it to work by first declaring a type for the record
set:

CREATE TYPE sp_report_retail_sales_type AS (a int8, b int8, c numeric, d
numeric);

TIA,

Mike Weaver
Software Developer

5, 42 Ladner Street
O'Connor, WA, 6163
All correspondence:
PO Box Y3502
East St Georges Terrace
Perth WA 6832

P: (+618) 9331 2700
F: (+618) 9331 3733
M: 0403 385 181
W: http://www.corpusglobe.com/
E: mweaver(at)corpusglobe(dot)com

This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above and may contain information that is confidential. If you are not the
distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. When addressed
to our clients, any opinions or advice contained in this email are subject
to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing Corpus Globe client
engagement letter. If you have received this Email in error, please notify
us immediately by return email or telephone +61 8 9331 2700 and destroy the
original message. Thank You.