autoincrement???

From: Markus Jais <mjais(at)web(dot)de>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: autoincrement???
Date: 2001-07-12 21:20:07
Lists: pgsql-general

hi
I have the following problem:

I create the following table:

CREATE TABLE address (
address_id int PRIMARY KEY ,
street VARCHAR(40),
zipcode INT,
city VARCHAR(40),
country VARCHAR(40)
);

Now, I want the address_id to get incremented
every time I insert a value into the table.

for example:
INSERT INTO address VALUES('mainstreet 12', 85253, 'munich', 'Germany')
;
without specifying a value for the id.

a friend told me, that this works in MySQL with something
like "auto_increment". I do not know much about MySQL so I do not
know if this is true.

Can you please tell me, how to do this in postgresql????

thanks a lot
regards
markus

--