Re: Too much data received?

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: postgres-jdbc <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Too much data received?
Date: 2001-07-09 17:27:28
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces pgsql-jdbc

Steve Wampler wrote:

> Too much data was received.
> at org.postgresql.PG_Stream.ReceiveString(PG_Stream.java:306)
> at org.postgresql.Connection.ExecSQL(Connection.java:532)
> at org.postgresql.jdbc2.Statement.execute(Statement.java:294)
> at org.postgresql.jdbc2.Statement.executeUpdate(Statement.java:78)
> at OCS.database.DbServer.execute(DbServer.java:271)
>
> I seem to remember discussion on a limit in the jdbc driver that might
> be causing this, but couldn't find it in the psql-jdbc mail archives.
>
> Am I likely correct in this being the problem? Is there a fix in the
> works?

I took a look at the code for the jdbc driver and see how to increase the
size of the receive string buffer. (I think that there is no limit on
the size of a query/command, just on results - is that correct?)

Is any one looking at removing the limit entirely? I can (and have)
bumped the limit up, but wonder if it might not be better to just avoid
the problem entirely (if the back end can handle sending an absurdly
long result, why shouldn't the front end accept it?). Since the
data is coming from the backend (presumably a comparitively slow
operation), it doesn't seem that any performance hit would be
particularly noticable (if well designed) and could likely be restricted
to those cases where the results are absurdly long...

----
Steve Wampler- SOLIS Project, National Solar Observatory
swampler(at)noao(dot)edu