Re: AW: New SQL Datatype RECURRINGCHAR

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: New SQL Datatype RECURRINGCHAR
Date: 2001-07-09 11:39:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

> > My feeling is that the restrictions are stringent enough to eliminate
> > most of the interesting uses of views, and hence an automatic rule
> > creation feature is not nearly as useful/important as it appears at
> > first glance.
>
> The most prominent of the "interesting uses" probably beeing when the views
> are part of the authorization system, since views are the only standardized
> mechanism to restrict access at the row level.

True, and often the views can be restricted to insert only data that
will be
visible using this view.

> Imho not to be neglected.
> (user xxx is only allowed to manipulate rows that belong to his department,
> so he is only granted access to a view, not the main table)

This seems to be a little more complicated that Tom described (I.e. it
has
probably more than one relation involved or uses a function to get
CURRENT_USER's
department id)

IIRC MS Access has much broader repertoire of updatable views than
described
by Tom. Can be it's an extension to standard SQL though.

Hannu