New patches for running PostgreSQL on Windows

From: Horak Daniel <horak(at)mmp(dot)plzen-city(dot)cz>
To: "'Joost Kraaijeveld'" <JKraaijeveld(at)askesis(dot)nl>, "'Craig Setera'" <setera(at)us(dot)ibm(dot)com>, "'Kevin Lo'" <kevlo(at)hello(dot)com(dot)tw>, "'Finn Kettner'" <fk(at)akf(dot)dk>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: New patches for running PostgreSQL on Windows
Date: 1999-01-08 13:26:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I have created a new patch for compiling PostgreSQL on Windows.

It requires:
- Cygwin B20.1
- a crypt library
- the cygipc package
- added the included headers (endian.h into Cygwin's include/, tcp.h into
include/netinet and un.h into include/sys)

New features:
- it creates only postgres.exe (a hybrid between .EXE and .DLL) - it is
similar to executables on Unix created with gcc -export-dynamic
- it should be possible to run it on non-binary mounts (thanks to Craig
Setera)

Bugs:
- dynamic loading still doesn't work (but it is possible to create the
modules, e.g. plpgsql.dll)
- sometimes the backend survives only one connection from a client, it
crashes before the second connection is established. I have had not time to
investigate this yet.

The binaries are also available, but they are a bit huge (~3 MB in *.tgz)
because it is compiled with debug info.

I think it should be possible to begin incorporating the patches to the main
sources. Some of the changes are new files. And the rest is ifdef-ed (or
ifeq-ed in Makefiles), so it should not interfere with other ports, I hope
:-)

Dan

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgsql642.diff.gz application/octet-stream 14.2 KB
endian.h application/octet-stream 143 bytes
tcp.h application/octet-stream 137 bytes
un.h application/octet-stream 236 bytes