Re: [GENERAL] Call for alpha testing: planner statistics revisions

From: Ed Loehr <efl(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Call for alpha testing: planner statistics revisions
Date: 2001-06-21 19:05:12
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> I have finished a first pass at the planner statistics and cost
> estimation changes that I want to do for 7.2. It's now time to see
> how well the new code does in the real world...
>
> Some highlights of the new code include:
>
> * ANALYZE is now available as a separate command; you can run it without
> also doing a VACUUM. (Of course, VACUUM ANALYZE still works.)

What is the impact of this newly isolated ANALYZE command on the need
and/or frequency for VACUUMs?

I'd like to reduce the frequency of VACUUMs given my understanding has
been that updates/inserts/deletes are a no-no during VACUUMs (that was
6.5.x era hearsay), and we lock people out during VACUUMs (VACUUM
ANALYZE, that is).

Regards,
Ed Loehr