Re: Universal admin frontend

From: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)olemiss(dot)edu>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Universal admin frontend
Date: 2001-06-20 15:28:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Meskes wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 09:13:13AM +0200, Pedro Abelleira Seco wrote:
>
>>- Phppgadmin is a web based tool. You need a PHP
>>enabled web server. Most end users/admins don't want
>>to have to configure a web server, PHP ("what is
>>PHP?") and to have a poor interface (I'm talking about
>>web based interfaces in general, not the phppgadmin in
>>particular).
>>

>Maybe, but then you are platform independent.

First, we need a set of tasks that the software would need to be able to
do. These tasks, may answer your questions or at least help decide which
environment would best suit your admin tool.

AFIAA, there exists a port of Java for just about every OS that
PostgreSQL supports, not that it should be the only reason for choosing
it. Not that my vote counts, but I'd go for the java approach and be
willing to code a lot on the interface, anyone else interested?

To start this list off, the Good Idea (tm):

* User Management
* Create
* List
* Modify
* Change Password
* Grant permissions
* Group Membership
* Database Management
* Create
* List
* Modify
* Tables
* Constraints
* Rules
* Owners/Permissions
* Maintenance
* Vacuum
* Analyze
* Monitoring
* Statistics

This is one of the big things that PostgreSQL has been missing for
sometime. Personally, I believe that it would benefit both developers
and users.

Regardless, that's my two bits...