Calling external programs

From: Fran Fabrizio <ffabrizio(at)Exchange(dot)WebMD(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Calling external programs
Date: 2001-06-05 16:04:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I would like to call an external program from Pg. Specifically, I'd
like to send an email every time a row with certain attribute values is
inserted into a table. I already have a trigger that fires upon
insertion into the table. Is the preferred method to have a trigger
call a procedure written in say PLPERL? Is PLPERL capable of calling
external programs or better yet forming the mail and calling sendmail
itself?

Thanks,
Fran