Re: Copy

From: John Coers <coers(at)intrinsity(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Copy
Date: 2001-05-01 22:05:33
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-sql

Tom Lane wrote:

> John Coers <coers(at)intrinsity(dot)com> writes:
> > Does a COPY FROM block? In case I am using the wrong terminology,
> > what I need to know is if I have multiple clients performing COPY FROM...PQputline()
> > using asynchronous connections, will I lose data?
>
> No.
>
> > Will the server simply execute them serially?
>
> They'll be executed in parallel, just the same as if each client had
> done a bunch of INSERTs wrapped in a BEGIN/END block. You'd only see
> problems if clients inserted conflicting data (eg, identical keys in
> a column with a UNIQUE index). You may care to read the documentation
> about multi-version concurrency control and locking.

Do I need to do a PQconnectStart(),PQconnectPoll connection to make the server process
the COPY's in parallel, or does that just affect the client-side thread? How about a
PQconnectdb() and then PQsetnonblocking()?

Can I just do a PQconnectdb()?

I am unclear on how these different connection types affect the client threads vs. the server threads.

--
John Coers Intrinsity, Inc.
coers(at)intrinsity(dot)com Austin, Texas