Re: Re: Need for newbie friendly docs (was Newbie struggling...)

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Jeff Eckermann <jeckermann(at)verio(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Need for newbie friendly docs (was Newbie struggling...)
Date: 2001-04-26 16:12:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

Some people have separately volunteered to write parts of a newbie's
guide to PostgreSQL in the last week or so, so there's a good chance
something will pop up in the next ummm... hopefully week or two.

Might not be huge pieces of work at the moment, but like everything,
something is better than nothing, and can be improved. :-)

Has everyone noticed Vince's test of searchable PostgreSQL documentation
at :

http://odbc.postgresql.org/docs/ ?

Like, you type in your search words, and it brings up a list of pages
mentioning those words. Plus the links to view the document.

And you can add comments.

It's based on the 7.1 document collection, and he's developing it
presently. It's still Really useful now too though.

:->

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Jeff Eckermann wrote:

<snip>
> I think that Geoff has a point.
> The section in the docs on setting environment variable is thin, to say the
> least.
> References to other relevant environment variables are scattered here and
> there throughout the docs. I have never been able to find a single
> reference which covers which environment variables matter for PostgreSQL,
> and why.
> I feel Geoff's pain, having felt plenty already for similar reasons (still
> do). I had to blindly stumble across the fact that the PGDATA and PGLIB
> variables, for example, were useful things to set.
> If we are trying to resist documentation bloat, then maybe the
> non-documentation documentation can address this subject? Justin, if you
> are reading, perhaps you can cajole someone to write a piece for the
> techdocs site?(I'm not volunteering: I need to read it myself!).

- Indira Gandhi