Re: Re: Need for newbie friendly docs (was Newbie struggling...)

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Geoff Caplan <geoff(at)productivity(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Need for newbie friendly docs (was Newbie struggling...)
Date: 2001-04-26 15:47:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Oliver Elphick wrote:
<snip>

> I'm not sure that it is either possible or desirable for PostgreSQL to
> attempt to satisfy a newbie's need for basic training in Unix.

Yes. It is. Especially for fundamental, widespread technology like
PostgreSQL.

AT LEAST the community articles and additionally available documentation
should cater for mature people from many experience levels.

We can give guidance in newbie terminology for the basic concepts of
keeping their system operational long enough for them to get the hang of
it and go from there. i.e. a Kickstart guide.

Newbies have interesting ideas sometimes too. After all, they've spent
their time learning about something OTHER than Unix. :-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

- Indira Gandhi