Re: Is it possible to mirror the db in Postgres?

From: "G(dot) Anthony Reina" <reina(at)nsi(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is it possible to mirror the db in Postgres?
Date: 2001-04-20 23:53:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nathan Meyers wrote:

> Does the replication have to be reliable? Are you equipped to
> reconcile databases that have got out of sync, if not? Will the
> different labs ever try to update the same existing record, or
> insert conflicting (unique-key) records?

(1) Yes, of course. (2) Willing--yes; equipped--dunno. (3) Yes,
probably.

Reliable WAN replication is harder. Most of the proprietary database
companies will tell you they can do it, but their customers will tell
you they can't.

Joel Burton suggested the rserv utility. I don't know how well it would
work over a wide network.

-Tony