Trusted plperl

From: msteele(at)inet-interactif(dot)com
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Trusted plperl
Date: 2001-04-20 19:42:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Hey folks, I sent out this question a while back without
ever getting an answer, so here I go again :)

Has anyone managed to compile a trusted plperl interpreter
into postgres? The Opcode stuff which blocks the use of
external modules, and 99% of perl's built-in operators
really bugs me :(

Since my postgres installations will never be accesible by
end-users, there are no risks for me to set up a fully trusted
interpreter. I think that if I could use perl's full power
from inside postgres I could make it do some very impressive
things and might simplify some application development.

I would be more than glad to hack the code myself, but I very
little C. It would be amazing to be able to import abitrary perl
modules straight into a stored functions for those of us
who don't need the extra security that using Opcode provides.

As a side note, the Opcode doesn't really provide that
much security to the imbedded interpreter. Some of the functions
which are allowed by the current setup can be easily used
to crash a system (for example, a badly built regular expression
with backreferences can eat up all available memory in seconds).

Regards,

--
Mark Steele
Vice president research and development

010110010110111101110101001000000110000101110010011001010010000001100100011101010110110101100010