Re: FAQ: Current state of replication ?

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Peter Galbavy <peter(dot)galbavy(at)knowledge(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FAQ: Current state of replication ?
Date: 2001-03-20 05:52:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> What is the current state-of-the-art WRT replication of any sort ? If anyone
> has homebrew solutions that they can share, we would welcome tyring too.

There is some code in contrib/rserv for 7.1 which does table
replication. It has some restrictions, but does implement the basic
concept. I think a tarball to do the same for 7.0 and earlier is
available at www.pgsql.com (just Makefile differences).

We are currently working through the issues involved with multi-slave
replication and the ramifications for failover to (one of) the slaves.
It looks like the rserv code may assume too much independence between
slaves and replication sync information, and failover may be
not-quite-right in those cases.

Will be posting to the list when we know the answer (though
contributions and inputs are of course always welcome!). afaict changes
in rserv schema, if necessary, will not be available for 7.1, but we'll
be posting patches and updating the CVS tree.

btw, it looks like TODO.detail/replication predates the replication
implementation, and has no real relationship with the implementation.
There is some thought that WAL/BAR features can help support replication
at a different level than is done now, but that is work for the future
afaik.

- Thomas