unbuffered results from libpq?

From: "Timothy H(dot) Keitt" <Timothy(dot)Keitt(at)StonyBrook(dot)Edu>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: unbuffered results from libpq?
Date: 2001-03-08 00:03:26
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

My impression is that libpq buffers all results of a query. Is there a
way to get a "result stream" from the backend instead of having libpq
read everything into a local buffer first? Currently, my application,
after a query, simply copies the entire buffer from the libpq side into
storage on the application side. This seems expensive for large
queries. I'd rather read results directly into storage on the
application side, i.e., "while input get next value from backend". (I
know about libpqeasy, but this only iterates over the libpq buffer.)

Tim

--
Timothy H. Keitt
Department of Ecology and Evolution