Re: No Documentation for to_char(INTERVAL, mask)

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sqllist <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No Documentation for to_char(INTERVAL, mask)
Date: 2001-03-06 17:22:25
Lists: pgsql-sql

Karel,

> The 'interval' version of to_char() isn't implemented -- may be in 7.2
> (it's high in my TODO list:-)

Grazie. (One of the things I love about PostgreSQL is being able to
get definitive answers on functionality -- try asking Microsoft an "is
this implemented?" question!)

Given the lack of to_char(interval), I'd like to write a PLPGSQL
function to fill the gap in the meantime. If you can answer a few
questions about how interval values work, it would be immensely helpful:

1. Hours, minutes, and seconds are displayed as "00:00:00". Days are
displayed as "0 00:00:00". How are weeks, months, and years displayed?

2. If months have their own placeholder in the Interval data type, how
many days make up a month? Is it a fixed value, or does it depend on
the calendar?

Thanks. I'll post the PLPGSQL function to the list after I write it.

-Josh Berkus
Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533