Re: beta5 ...

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: beta5 ...
Date: 2001-02-22 16:38:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Got this and Justin's changes along with compiler version. Anyone think
> of anything else?

Hmm. Any suggestions on how we collate the test results for our release
docs? And how we solicit tests for remaining platforms?

In previous releases (and until now), I have kept track of results
posted on the -hackers mailing list, and then when the beta cycle winds
down would send out a list containing those platforms which have not yet
been tested.

It was easy for me to do, and it gave visibility on the developers' list
for the current status of testing.

Should the procedure now change? And if so, have we just signed me up
for more work rummaging around a web page to transcribe results? :/

Could we perhaps have a reference on that page to the current
developer's doc page of "supported platforms"? That would help tie the
current state of the docs to the current state of the web site report
form, and it would let people know that they might also post their
results to the -hackers list to make sure that their results are known
to others. If we are storing this stuff in a database, then perhaps it
would be easy to dump those results in a form which maps into the docs?

<philosophy style=randomthought mode=aside>
I *know* that having web pages for data entry, etc etc are good things.
But at some point, the fun of working on PG is (at least for me)
interacting with *people*, not web sites, and I'd like to avoid building
in procedures which inadvertently discourage that interaction.
</philosophy>

Suggestions?

- Thomas