INSERT INTO problem

From: Tom Jenkins <tjenkins(at)devis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: INSERT INTO problem
Date: 2001-02-20 19:57:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all,
I'm trying to do an INSERT INTO using a UNION of two selects. I
received an error:
"ERROR: Unable to convert varchar to int2 for column isdepartment"

I started simplifying the INSERT INTO to help me get to the root cause.
I removed the UNION and continued simplifying.

I eventually ended up with this line that still gives me the error:
insert into reportentity
select 'D0'||text(departmentid) as reportentityid,
departmentname as reportentityname,
'1'::int2 as isdepartment,
departmentdescription as reportentitydescription,
departmentsummary as reportentitysummary
from department where isreportentity > 0;

Now removing the last two fields lets the INSERT INTO run without errors:
insert into reportentity
select 'D0'||text(departmentid) as reportentityid,
departmentname as reportentityname,
'1'::int2 as isdepartment
from department where isreportentity > 0;

Some of the description and summary fields do have null values; is that
causing the error? (I'm not sure why it would but that's all I can
think of)

Oh here's the format of the reportentity table:
reportentityid char(5) not null
reportentityname varchar(110) not null
reportentitydescription varchar(4000)
reportentitysummary varchar(4000)