Re: can't run on TCP/IP ports

From: Alessio Bragadini <alessio(at)albourne(dot)com>
To: General PostgreSQL discussion list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: can't run on TCP/IP ports
Date: 2001-02-05 12:37:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:

> > I figured out the problem, postmaster when run as postgres didn't have
> > write permissions to /var/run/postgresql directory (where the Debian
> > version puts its socket files) and therefore didn't have permission to
> > open the socket. .
>
> ROTFL ... score one for the Debian package's gratuitously non-standard
> placement of the sockets ...

I beg to differ. I didn't jump in the last thread, but I believe
/var/run is a more safe and standard place than putting everything under
/tmp. There is a problem with that package, not a general problem of
policy.

--
Alessio F. Bragadini alessio(at)albourne(dot)com
APL Financial Services http://village.albourne.com

"It is more complicated than you think"
-- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925