Re: CUG

From: Nabil Sayegh <nsmail(at)sayegh(dot)de>
To: Francisco Reyes <fran(at)reyes(dot)somos(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CUG
Date: 2001-02-04 18:52:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thanks for the quick responses ...

Francisco Reyes wrote:
> I thought you wanted something more complex. From what I understand you
> could implement "levels". When you put a picture you indicate what level
> the person needs.

Actually it will be a content management system, so it should be
abstract enough to
adapt to the customer's needs.

> A picture with level 0 can be seen by anybody. A picture with level 1 can
> be seen by anyone with leve 1 and above.. Get it?

Okay, this could be an option, perhaps it's best to implement several
different
mechanisms from which the customer may choose.

> Another way which is more flexible, although a bit more complex, is to
> allow someone to belong to different groups and to have each picture
> allowable to more than one group.

That's the state of affairs. Now I want to attach group girlfriend(s) to
group friends
so that if I add new pictures and give them the group friends my girl
may see it,
!!!without_explicitly_mentioning!!!
So far so good, here the level scheme could work, but ...

guest

friend
/ \
family colleague
| / \
girlfriend team1 team2

Business stuff is confidential and must not be seen even by my family.

It's like attaching the (unix-)group users to the group audio.

> --picture table
> --group table
> --user table
> --user_group
> --Picture table

> That should work for what you described with no problems (except if you
> have more than one user on the girlfriend category, then you could
> eventually have serious problems with this setup) <G>

(Thats just a matter of time-management ;^)

I would like to add another table group_group and this puzzles me
because I would need to recurse.

Perhaps It could be done transparent to the customer by adding triggers
which automatically add a new user to all necessary groups via
prototypes but
it would be hard to manage if they decide to give/take away permissions
from one group.

I think I will try a plpgsql function which descends the group tree till
NULL or success.
But this would restrict me to postgresql ... Is plpgsql available for
other DBs ?

cu

--
Nabil Sayegh