can't connect, strange error

From: Jeff Greer <jgreer(at)showmethenet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: can't connect, strange error
Date: 2001-01-31 07:54:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Can someone tell me what is going on. Below is a sample of
my interactive command line output inside postgres. I can't
install 7.0.2 on my current linux machine. I installed the
same version fine on two other linux machines.

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jgreer=# \l
List of databases
Database | Owner
-----------+----------
jgreer | postgres
postgres | postgres
root | postgres
singlesc | root
template1 | postgres
(5 rows)

jgreer=# create database x;
CREATE DATABASE
jgreer=# \connect x;
FATAL 1: Database "x;" does not exist in the system
catalog.
Previous connection kept
jgreer=#

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is how I do my install which has always worked.

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(untar ungzip source)
(cd to <postgres src dir>/src/)
./configure

gmake
gmake install

add this the .bashrc for postgres

PATH=".":/usr/local/pgsql/bin:$PATH
MANPATH=$MANPATH:/usr/local/pgsql/man
PGLIB=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
PGDATA=/usr/local/pgsql/data
export PATH MANPATH PGLIB PGDATA

(Edit file /etc/ld.so.conf to add a line
/usr/local/pgsql/lib)
( run command /sbin/ldconfig.)

mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres:postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su postgres

initdb
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i &
createdb

# do this for each user
createuser jgreer # should pull up user id from
/etc/passwd
createdb jgreer

# add this to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
su postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -i -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data"

Thanks
--
Jeff Greer
- B.S. computer science - Univ. MO - Rolla