Re: schemas for organizing tables

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
To: Seb <spluque(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: schemas for organizing tables
Date: 2011-04-29 06:48:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On 29 Apr 2011, at 5:03, Seb wrote:

> So typically we have two types of uses: research and
> preparation/logistics for the project. We wouldn't want to even see the
> logistcs tables for research work, whereas we would like to see only
> these ones for preparation/planning. As the project and number of
> tables grow, we could see a similar divergence within the group of
> tables related to research. Are these good reasons for separating these
> units into schemas?

I suppose the two different schema's are interesting to similarly different users of the database as well? If so, you could also create two different types of users with schema search_paths defaulting to their respective schema.
That way logistics-type users don't get confused by research tables and researchers don't get confused by logistics tables. You could even restrict access to the schema the user isn't supposed to access.

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4dba5f4212121823650944!