Very slow select

From: Stefano Bargioni <bargioni(at)usc(dot)urbe(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Very slow select
Date: 2000-12-21 09:09:50
Lists: pgsql-general

I defined a table with two indexed text columns, a and b, of variable length.
This table contains 287195 rows.
SELECT FROM t WHERE a='my string'; works very fast. The same select made on b is very slow (2 or 3 seconds), as if no index exists for column b.
I'd like to know why. Note that b contains very long strings, more than 500 chars. Is there a limit in indexing?
Thanks. Stefano
--
Dott. Stefano Bargioni
Biblioteca della Pontificia Universita' della Santa Croce - Roma