Re: Confused by timezones

From: Alessio Bragadini <alessio(at)albourne(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: SQL for PostgreSQL list <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Arrigo Triulzi <arrigo(at)albourne(dot)com>, Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Confused by timezones
Date: 2000-12-18 15:16:52
Lists: pgsql-sql

Tom Lane wrote:

> I'm guessing that's not a legal timezone name on your platform.
> On my box I have to spell it "PST8PDT" ... note that the displayed
> abbreviation is not the same as the name used to set the timezone.

I used PST as an example, but it doesn't work with any other zone,
including GMT (our localtime is EET). I suspect it's a configuration
problem on our Digital machine (with Digital Unix 4.0F): zoneinfos are
under /etc/zoneinfo.

Do the functions use those files or it's just an OS call? Is configure
involved at all in this area?

Thanks again

--
Alessio F. Bragadini alessio(at)albourne(dot)com
APL Financial Services http://village.albourne.com

"It is more complicated than you think"
-- The Eighth Networking Truth from RFC 1925