Replication of a portion of data to another database

From: Paul McGarry <paul(at)operamail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Replication of a portion of data to another database
Date: 2000-09-13 04:20:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi there,

I have a set of structually identical databases which are functionally
independant.

However, I now want to be able to do a full text index search in a single (two
field) record across all of these databases. At the moment I only have a few
of these databases and connecting to and scanning each one sequentially is
sufficient. In the long term I expect the number of databases that will exist
to make this unfeasable.

Thus I'd like to create a centralised database whose sole task is to enable
full text searches of this record across all the other databases.

I believe that Postgres doesn't do cross-database stuff as it stands.

I currently have this harebrained scheme whereby I write my own SQL function
in C that links to libpq so that any of the other databases can connect to the
central DB and perform the required insert/update/delete when triggered to do
so.

Does that seem to be a reasonable thing to try? Has anyone else done such a
thing? Is there a better way of doing it?

Paul.