Re: List of error messages

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Gisle Dankel <gmd(at)uk(dot)research(dot)att(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: List of error messages
Date: 2000-09-13 07:36:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Gisle Dankel wrote:

> Hi,
> I couldn't find any explanations of error messages in the docs.
>
> I get this error message:
> ERROR: triggered data change violation on relation "22"
>
> after doing
>
> DELETE FROM "22" WHERE id = 36;
>
> There's no foreign keys referring to this table, nor any triggers that I
> have explicitly defined.
> This occurs inside a transaction. When I tried it outside the transaction
> it worked fine!
>
> Anyone got any idea of what is going on?
> Do you need more information?

Maybe this table is the referring one in a foreign key
relationship?

Triggers/foreign keys are the only things that can cause the
above error message. It is a requirement of the SQL99 specs
that one and the same row, that is part of referential
integrity constraints or triggers, cannot be touched twice
during a transaction.

So if you did (in the same transaction)

UPDATE "22" SET "22 A)" = 2.2 WHERE id = 36;

then the above DELETE might be forbidden as of the specs.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #