Re: RFC C++ Interface

From: Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com>
To: Randy Jonasz <rjonasz(at)click2net(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RFC C++ Interface
Date: 2000-12-11 18:01:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Randy Jonasz wrote:

> I appreciate your comments and would like to respond to your concerns.
> The API I sketched in my earlier e-mail is borrowed heavily from
> Rogue Wave's dbtools.h++ library. I think it can be a very clean and
> elegant way of accessing a database.

Yes, this looks neat. At least it is an API design that has been
properly tested. We've been thinking along the same lines, and were
thinking of faking up a roguewave type API for postgres.

One thing I would like to see, which we have built into our own,
primitive, C++ interface, is support for binary data retrieval. For some
applications the savings are huge.

I haven't thought very hard about how to do this: we do it by having a
perl script generate structures from the table definitions at compile
time, which works well in our case, but is not necessarily suitable for
a library. Code to copy the data into these structures is similarly
generated. Not sure whether roguewave have a better solution.

Good luck with it.

Adriaan