RE: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as My

From: "Robert D(dot) Nelson" <RDNELSON(at)co(dot)centre(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Matthew <matt(at)ctlno(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Re: Re: Why PostgreSQL is not that popular as My
Date: 2000-12-11 15:23:00
Lists: pgsql-general

>"Brett W. McCoy" <bmccoy(at)chapelperilous(dot)net> writes:
>> On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Matthew wrote:
>>> [Matthew] Would it make sense for postgre to have a mysql
>>> compatibility module? An add on package (perhaps in contrib) that
>>> would add many of the functions that mysql has that postgre does not.
>
>> I think it would be wasted effort. I would rather the developers focus on
>> PostgreSQL, not MySQL, or Access, or whatever.
>
>I agree that the key developers shouldn't spend much time on such a
>thing, but on the other hand this isn't a project that requires a key
>developer to get done. If Matthew or someone else feels like spending
>time on it, I wouldn't object...

my2post anybody?

Considering all the apps that have mysql code or mysql/php code in them,
something that would go thru and fix code that wouldn't work, but wouldn't
optimize either, and alert to code that doesn't have functional equivalents
that points to a FAQ they can look at or submit questions to, now that I'd
love.

Rob Nelson
rdnelson(at)co(dot)centre(dot)pa(dot)us