Re: how many rows? [was Re: fetching rows]]

From: Roberto Mello <rmello(at)cc(dot)usu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how many rows? [was Re: fetching rows]]
Date: 2000-11-18 00:11:03
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Robert B. Easter" wrote:

> If someone has done it a better way, I'd like to hear how. However,
> sometimes it is possible to cache a count(*) value somewhere in the database
> so it doesn't have to be found everytime - it depends on your database and
> what the select is if you can store the count in advance somehow.

I don't know how it was implemented (source code is available), but the
PostgreSQL driver for AOLserver (a kick-butt web server for
database-backed websites) has a function that does that. All I do after
a SQL statement is:

set rowcount [ns_pg ntuples]

in my Tcl code and there it is. The driver is available at either
http://www.aolserver.com or http://www.openacs.org (the latter has a
more elaborate version of the driver).

-Roberto
--