Re: RPMS don't work for 2.2.17

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: alex(dot)finck(at)ebi(dot)ac(dot)uk, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RPMS don't work for 2.2.17
Date: 2000-10-31 14:50:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org wrote:

> Alex Finck (alex(dot)finck(at)ebi(dot)ac(dot)uk) reports a bug with a severity of 4
>
> Short Description
> RPMS don't work for 2.2.17
>
> Long Description
> I get this message:
>
> IpcMemoryCreate: memKey=155356396 , size=760632 ,
> permission=384IpcMemoryCreate: shmget(..., create, ...)
> failed: Invalid argument
>
> even if I have compiled the IPC support in the running kernel which is 2.2.17.
>
> This is for the 7.0.2-6mdk I think this is because the RPMS are based on a different kernel. I send you this bug repport because it seems that Mandrake which distributes the RPMS has simply changed the name of the RPMS without recompiling.

Which distribution are you running? There is a newer RPM available on
the postgresql ftp site (which I am about to announce, once I get
everything moved into place) --
ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v7.0.2/RedHat-6.x/RPMS/postgresql*7.0.2-21.i386.rpm

If you want to recompile the RPM from source, here's what you do:
Download the source RPM:
ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v7.0.2/RedHat-6.x/SRPMS/postgresql-7.0.2-21.src.rpm
Install the source RPM: rpm -i postgresql-7.0.2-21.src.rpm
Make sure you have a full build environment: You need C and C++
installed and working, you need tcl/tk 8 installed and working, you need
python and python-devel installed and working, you need the X11
development headers and libraries installed and working (XFree86-devel
on most distributions) -- on RedHat 7 you need rpm-build installed as
well.

Now, once you know everything you need is installed, cd to the RPM build
area on your box (for RedHat, this is /usr/src/redhat, for TurboLinux
this is /usr/src/turbo, for Mandrake this is /usr/src/RPM (I think), for
SuSE this is /usr/src/packages (but, for SuSE you need to use _THEIR_
RPMset for 7.0.2, which is part of SuSE 7.0), and for Caldera this is
/usr/src/OpenLinux (but the build won't work due to Caldera using a
positively archaic version of RPM -- 2.5.5).

The build will work just fine for Mandrake, TurboLinux, and RedHat's 6.2
and 7.0 -- the build will fail for RedHat 6.1, but the binaries for 6.2
should install on 6.1.

And, as Peter said, make sure you have enough shared memory before you
invest alot of time in rebuilding RPM's.

Also, Mandrake typically builds for Pentium and higher -- you may have a
CPU compatibility issue. Mandrake recompiles all their stuff -- but it
is typically compiled at a higher optimization level than RedHat's
stuff, as well as being compiled with a different compiler (at least in
the past), and against different glibc's (some of the time).
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio