Re: Navigating time-warps in the CVS tree (was re the rule system)

From: "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman(at)pacbell(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PGSQL Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Navigating time-warps in the CVS tree (was re the rule system)
Date: 2000-10-23 04:37:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman(at)pacbell(dot)net> writes:
> > so I tried going back to '7 Oct 2000 10:00:00 PST' and it's better,
> > but regression tests fail on the rule system. It makes the server
> > die. Since rules are what I want, this won't do.
>
> Details? AFAIK, the system was operational on 7-Oct; I did not pick
> that date out of the air. There was a broken version of the
> expected/rules.out file in place right around then --- see
> http://www.postgresql.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/test/regress/expected/rules.out
> But that'd just have caused a bogus comparison failure, not a server
> crash. (What was *in the expected file* was a report of a server
> crash :-(, so if you didn't look carefully at the diff you might've
> gotten confused...)
>
> If you want a more exact timestamp, try 7-Oct-2000 00:00 PDT which
> predates the BEOS patch breakage, or 8-Oct-2000 00:00 PDT which follows
> cleanup. If either of those fail on your system it'd be useful to know
> about.
>
> regards, tom lane

It's odd. I had already tried "8 Oct 2000 10:00:00 PDT" on
one system
(RedHat Linux 6.1), and it had worked. Today I'm building
on a Caldera
2.3 system, and both the 00:00 and 10:00 builds fail.

I've attached the output of the make. Could I have a bad
copy of this
source file? How could I tell (not knowing much about CVS,
I'm
disinclined to perform random experiments).

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman (805) 650-6274 mailto:kogorman(at)pacbell(dot)net
Permanent e-mail forwarder:

"There is a freedom lying beyond circumstance,
derived from the direct intuition that life can
be grounded upon its absorption in what is
changeless amid change"
-- Alfred North Whitehead

Attachment Content-Type Size
typescript text/html 39.2 KB