tar.z or rpms - newbie question

From: Bob Hartung <rwhart(at)netexpress(dot)net>
To: PostGresql List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: tar.z or rpms - newbie question
Date: 2000-10-11 10:08:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
I am relatively new to Linux and absolutely new to PostGresql, PHP,
Apache. I am going to install these on a New RH 6.2 install. As RH
does not necessarily place files where other distros do, should I always
wait until the RPMs are avialable or should I live with the tar.z
distribution forms and say "ta hell" with RH's deviation from what I
perceive to the the remainder of the Linux community?

I am aware that this may seem like flame bait, but once I install I
would like to concentrate on learning PG and PHP for web applications
and not fiddle with file locations.

Thanks,

Bob Hartung