Re: PG 7.0.2 Install

From: Nils Zonneveld <nils(at)casema(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG 7.0.2 Install
Date: 2000-08-29 06:21:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Darrin Ladd wrote:

> Ok, so I'm an idiot...sorry.
>
> While running the *correct* rpm (SRPM: postgresql-7_0_2-1_src.rpm), it keeps
> failing. It appears to be trying to implement the python interface, but the
> required config directory with the make file is missing off the file system.
> The following is the standard output from the rpm run:
>
> All of PostgreSQL is successfully made. Ready to install.
> + pushd interfaces/python
> /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/postgresql-7.0.2/src/interfaces/python
> /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/postgresql-7.0.2/src
> /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/postgresql-7.0.2
> +cp /usr/lib/python1.5/config/Makefile.pre.in .
> cp: /usr/lib/python1.5/config/Makefile.pre.in: No such file or directory
> Bad exit status from var/tmp/rpm-tmp.64387(%build)
>
> I don't need the python interface, but am not sure how to get around this so
> that I can have a successful build. The /usr/lib/python1.5 directory is
> there, but there is no config directory under that. Can I just perform a
> gmake install, since the make finished successfully? Or is there a way to
> turn the python option off of the build?
>
> Sorry if this is another stupid question, I am very new to all of this.
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Darrin

This has more to do with the rpm utility and probably there are ways to
bypass some of the dependancies enforced by rpm. Personally I find
installing from source (*.tar.gz files) much easier then with rpm. I use
Suse Linux which suports rpm as well, but my experiences are that
installing from source was easier then I expected and caused less
problems then using rpm.

Regards,

Nils Zonneveld
--
"Misschien is niets geheel waar, en zelfs dat niet"
Multatuli (Eduard Douwes Dekker) - Idee 1