Re: Session characteristics

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Session characteristics
Date: 2000-08-29 04:32:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I see we have a command
> SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS AS TRANSACTION COMMIT {TRUE | FALSE}
> Where does that come from/fit in? I can't see it in SQL 99.

I found SET SESSION CHARACTERISTICS in my copy of the SQL99 draft docs
which have been discussed on this list. afaik there is no concept of
"autocommit on/off" in SQL9x, but clearly if we support "session
characteristics" this would be one to include. I intend to add it in (as
I did for the other SESSION CHARACTERISTICS feature) but if someone
beats me to it, I'll not be upset.

I imagine that your question is not really about SET SESSION... but
about the latter half of the command above; as I mentioned SQL9x does
not have the concept of "autocommit", but Postgres does not (yet) have
the concept of SQL9x-compatible "never autocommit". The SET SESSION...
would allow us to do both.

The syntax itself is a bit verbose, and if SQL99 doesn't really have it
I'd be happy to consider shorter alternatives. btw, we usually *do*
support a shorter alternative via the SET key=val feature.

- Thomas