Re: mac.c

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: mac.c
Date: 2000-08-07 07:22:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Since macaddr_manuf() will not be up to date, I'd say lets make
> the new function macaddr_brand, and if someone wants to do the other
> two, fine. I'd also doc the fact that macaddr_manuf() is deprecated, marked
> for deletion one or two releases down the line (since the table will
> no longer be updated, and is very much outdated).

I've been thinking about this a bit, coincidentally while I've been
working on the LIKE implementation for string comparisons.

Why not implement like() and notlike() for macaddr data types which (if
both args are macaddr) will compare on manufacturer's fields alone? That
would seem to get all the functionality you might want.

Example:

SELECT * FROM machines where hwaddr LIKE
(select id from MacIdCodes where manuf = 'Intel');

or something like that.

That would avoid ginning up something artificial like a macaddr with
some fields zeroed out. We would still have an equality operator etc.

Comments?

- Thomas