Re: PSQL Working, but PGAccess Not Connecting.

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: David Lloyd-Jones <david(dot)lloyd-jones(at)attcanada(dot)ca>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: PSQL Working, but PGAccess Not Connecting.
Date: 2000-07-31 18:54:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-novice

Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > Do I want to add a "-i" somewhere inside it?

> Sure, if it isn't there already. I haven't looked at the script
> recently, but I recall that the predecessor had some commented-out lines
> to illustrate where this kind of thing should occur.

> Perhaps the "-i" is disabled by default to enhance out-of-the-box
> network security?

[I'm going to reply to this one rather than all the previous ones.
Sorry for the delay in responding, but I just got back from a 'working'
vacation, and had alot of front-burner items to handle before I could
get on my notebook. And, last night I was going to get online, but a
thunderstorm outbreak prevented me....]

David, if you're running 6.5.3 that came with RH 6.2, there should
already be a '-i' on the postmaster startup line in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql. If, however, you're running 7.0.2, the
whole startup has changed. Look in
/var/lib/pgsql/data/postmaster.opts.default (IIRC) for a '-i' -- the
7.0.2 RPM's start postmaster through pgctl.

If you not running 7.0.2, you really should investigate upgrading.
AOLserver's performance takes a leap against 7 versus 6.5, for some
reason that I've not been able to fathom.

As to the network unreachable errors, you have a network configuration
problem somewhere that is causing your machine to not work with TCP/IP,
for some reason.

The default startup in the RPM's has been, since 6.5.2 or so, to enable
the -i -- and the reason -i wasn't enabled before wasn't so much
security as it was the fact the no one bothered to add -i to the startup
file after PostgreSQL 6.3 changed the default to require -i for TCP/IP
connections.

Also, if you have Apache installed, AOLserver will have serious trouble
binding port 80 (even if Apache is not running).

HTH

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio