Re:

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: "Mehta, Ashok" <mehtaa(at)hmc(dot)harvard(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re:
Date: 2000-07-27 16:24:00
Lists: pgsql-general

"Mehta, Ashok" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am running postgres on RedHat Linux It was running fine and our sysadmin
> added a scsi tape device to the kernel and rebooted the machine so the
> postmaster was killed with -9 signal and after that when I start postmaster
> I get
> FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Permission denied
> Is another postmaster already running on that port?
> If not, remove socket node (/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432) and retry.
> postmaster: cannot create UNIX stream port
>
> I have rebooted the machine since then and there is no file in /tmp
> directory to be removed. I am absolutly positive that another postmaster is
> not running and that file does not exist.

Ummm.. Without being condescending, when you checked for the existence
of .s.PGSQL.5432, did you use a regular 'ls' or 'ls -l', or did you use
'ls -a' or 'ls -al'? I don't know how much unix experience you have,
but I remember the moment I learned about the Unix version of hidden
files...and the associated '-a' option to ls....

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio