7.0.2 issues / Geocrawler

From: Tim Perdue <tperdue(at)valinux(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: 7.0.2 issues / Geocrawler
Date: 2000-07-11 23:51:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Well, I took Thomas' advice and upgraded to 7.0.2 from source.tar.gz.

For some reason, I cannot create the following index:

db_geocrawler=# DROP INDEX idx_mail_archive_list_subject;
ERROR: index "idx_mail_archive_list_subject" nonexistent

db_geocrawler=# CREATE INDEX "idx_mail_archive_list_subject" on
"tbl_mail_archive" using btree ( "fld_mail_
list" "int4_ops", "fld_mail_subject" "text_ops" );
ERROR: cannot create idx_mail_archive_list_subject

[root(at)geocrawler db_geocrawler]# rm -f idx_mail_archive_list_subject

That removes the physical file on disk, so I can then try to create it
again. If I then issue the SQL command, postgres accepts it and it runs
forever, never creating more than an 8192 byte file.

If you watch your process list:

[root(at)geocrawler db_geocrawler]# ps ax
PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
457 ? SW 0:00 [postmaster]
1419 ? R 1:34 [postmaster]

Eventually, the psql connection disappears from the process list and I
get strange postmaster processes running (see above).

After that, I get this error from psql:

ERROR: btree: index item size 2820 exceeds maximum 2717

Any way to tell where that item is at?