Re: Storage Manager (was postgres 7.2 features.)

From: Chris Bitmead <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Storage Manager (was postgres 7.2 features.)
Date: 2000-07-11 13:20:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck wrote:

> What's currently there doesn't have TT any more. So there is
> nothing we would destroy with an overwriting SMGR.

I know, but I wanted to resurrect it at some stage, and I think a lot of
important bits are still there.

> > * It's always faster than WAL in the presence of stable main memory.
> > (Whether the stable caches in modern disk drives is an approximation I
> > don't know).
>
> For writing, yes. But for high updated tables, the scans will
> soon slow down due to the junk contention.

I imagine highly updated applications won't be interested in time
travel. If they are then the alternative of a user-maintained time-stamp
and triggers will still leave you with "junk".

> > * Instantaneous crash recovery.
>
> Because this never worked reliable, Vadim is working on WAL.

Postgres recovery is not reliable?