Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL vs. MySQL

From: Chris Bitmead <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
Date: 2000-07-10 00:28:04
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Louis Bertrand wrote:

> There's a benchmark/review comparing PostgreSQL and MySQL on PHP Builder:
> http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000705.php3

I'm wondering about the comments that postgres is slower in connection
time, could this be related to that libpq always uses asynchronous
sockets to connect? It always turns off blocking and then goes through a
state machine to go through the various stages of connect, instead of
just calling connect() and waiting for the kernel to do its thing. Of
course asynchronous connecting is a benefit when you want it. Or is the
overhead elsewhere, and I'm just being paranoid?