Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres

From: Sevo Stille <sevo(at)ip23(dot)net>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Benjamin Adida <ben(at)mit(dot)edu>, Tim Perdue <tperdue(at)valinux(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres
Date: 2000-07-05 16:13:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> We had a *very* old version of PostgreSQL running on a Pentium acting as
> an accounting/authentication backend to a RADIUS server for an ISP
> ... uptime for the server itself was *almost* 365 days (someone hit the
> power switch by accident, meaning to power down a different machine
> *sigh*) ... PostgreSQL server had been up for something like 6 months
> without any problems, with the previous downtime being to upgrade the
> server ...

At a previous employer, there is still a database running that has not
seen a crash downtime ever since early 1996 - the only few downtimes it
ever saw were for a rare few postgres, OS and hardware upgrades. As
there have been no cries for help on any database or reboot issue ever
since I left (I still am appointed as the DB admin in case of any
trouble), it must be getting close to two years uptime by now, and that
literally unattended.

Sevo

--
sevo(at)ip23(dot)net