RE: PG 7.0 is 2.5 times slower running a big report

From: Bill Barnes <bbarnes(at)operamail(dot)com>
To: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bryan White <bryan(at)arcamax(dot)com>, Jesse Estevez <jestevez(at)travel-italy(dot)com>, Matthias Urlichs <smurf(at)noris(dot)de>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: RE: PG 7.0 is 2.5 times slower running a big report
Date: 2000-05-26 15:43:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Might I suggest a change in the name of this thread or starting a new one.
The subject problem was resolved sometime ago and this is just bad publicity.
Almost scare me off till I read the user with the problem was now happy.

Bill Barnes

>===== Original Message From Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> =====
>> The statement:

>> is false for FreeBSD afaik.
>>
>> FreeBSD tracks how often sequential access happens and will retry it
>> as the file's access trend indicates. It can flip back and forth from
>> readahead and non-readahead.
>
>Yes, read my later posting describing the actual algorithm. Let me know
>if it is wrong.
>
>--
> Bruce Momjian | http://www.op.net/~candle
> + If your life is a hard drive, | 830 Blythe Avenue
> + Christ can be your backup. | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

This e-mail has been sent to you courtesy of OperaMail, a
free web-based service from Opera Software, makers of
the award-winning Web Browser - http://www.operasoftware.com