Re: Conversion from MS Access to Postgresql

From: Andrew McMillan <Andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Len Morgan <len-morgan(at)crcom(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Conversion from MS Access to Postgresql
Date: 2000-06-26 22:49:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Len Morgan wrote:

> While we're on the subject of Access/Postgres, I have a consistent problem
> in moving tables between Access and Postgres. Access doesn't seem to want
> to export a fixed length character field (i.e., I have a text field that is
> 9 chars long but when the table is created in Postgres, it always comes out
> character varying(9) instead. I cannot seem to make Postgres join two
> tables when the type of one is char(9) and the other is character
> varying(9). The machine seems to go into an endless loop. A similar
> problem I have is with fix precision fields. I want to export a
> numeric(10,2) number from Access but they always end up numeric(30,6).
>
> Perhaps this is my punishment for using Access/Windows but that is not
> something I can change just yet. If you have any insight into why this
> might be happening or what I can do to fix it, I would appreciate it. BTW:
> Postgres 6.5.3 and Access97.

I don't believe that numeric precision is fully supported in 6.5.3 - I
think there is much better support in 7.0.2. Type inter-conversion also
seems to be improved in 7.0.2, but I can't comment on the specific issue
you have here :-)

I actually hand-edit my database creation scripts rather than using a
direct DDL generated from Access.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Andrew McMillan, e-mail: Andrew(at)cat-it(dot)co(dot)nz
Catalyst IT Ltd, PO Box 10-225, Level 22, 105 The Terrace, Wellington
Me: +64 (21) 635 694, Fax: +64 (4) 499 5596, Office: +64 (4) 499 2267